Sunday, September 21, 2008

Stung by a yellow jacket!

Yesterday we were grilling some steak and potatoes in the back yard and didn't have a clue there was a HUGE nest of yellow jackets in a bush by our patio door. I remember walking back to the patio door to go inside with my DH Eric when I turned around I saw lots of them flying around. As I was turning back toward the door to get inside I caught a glimpse of our ds Andrew coming our direction. I didn't realize he was going to try coming in too. I thought to myself I sure hope he doesn't get stung. Sure enough about 5 seconds after that thought a blood curdling scream was heard and then crying. We rushed to the door and I grabbed him inside trying to think of what to do and figure out if he was stung. I got a piece of ice and put that on the sting spot and then I remember my best friend telling me what she did one time when she was stung by a wasp. She said she put a penny on the spot and a few minutes later the swelling was gone and by the next day you could not tell she had been stung. I look at Andrew today and don't see any traces of the sting only the memory.

As I was taking care of ds my dh went out to kill the nest and any yellow jackets flying around, all the while trying to keep an eye on the steak and potatoes.

My wonderful dh told me the penny was really a placebo for me and Andrew than it having any homeopathic healing. Well, all I know is my ds was stung and a day later we only have a memory of it as opposed to seeing some swollen sore.

I did feel bad that he got stung instead of me or dh but I know it is only one in a list of many things that might and probably will happen to him.

Have a great night and we'll talk again soon.

Stephany

ps. the steaks were really good as well as the potatoes. Yum, it is making my mouth water just thinking about it

No comments: